Monday, March 16, 2009

Aztecs, Mayans and Incans



This week, we learned about Central and South America in the Middle Ages. Aztecs, Mayans and Incans were all great weavers.

The Mayans played a game where they threw a ball through a hoop made out of stone. If a person lost, his head was cut off. We used a big embroidery hoop and tennis balls when we pretended to play the game. I didn't get my head cut off.


We drank Aztec hot chocolate. It tasted really good. We read the story about the "Sad Night" and Montezuma.

Quinoa is a grain that the Incans ate. We had it for lunch a couple of times. I sort of liked it when it was mixed with beans. We made knots on a piece of yarn to show how many times we did something. This was called Quipu by the Incans.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

The civilizations of Central and South America are very interesting. They were very advanced in so many areas. There is much to be learned from them as I see you are! I am also glad you didn't get your head cut off, yikes!

Tan Family said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed keeping track on the quipu! Your form drawings this past week were beautiful, too.